08 February 2009

Sunday morning vacanza


The piece I wrote about Positano on 25 January put me in touch with a blogger who writes a blog called Bell'Avventura. She's an Australian who married a man from Positano and who now lives in Luxembourg. She and her husband maintain his family's home in Positano and they spend as much time there as they can. Her blog discusses the unique pleasures and irritations that accompany life in an ancient hill town and I can't get enough of it.

She writes about her gardens, her home and gives me a glimpse into a life I daydream about. She writes eloquently about the wonders of the place and doesn't sugar coat its absurdities. In one of her posts, she excerpts some of these absurdities from the Positano newspaper. She relates the following which has had me grinning since yesterday.
The second article was submitted by a local and deplored the state or rather non existence of postal delivery in Nocelle, Montepertuso and the top areas of Positano. The delegated postman has gone on holiday and no one thought to replace him. The new Director when confronted said that there was nothing he could do about it as it depended on the Maiori head office to send another ! Can you believe it?

For better or for worse, things like that only seem to happen in Italy and I can read stories such as that endlessly. So if you need a break on a blustery Sunday, stroll over to Bell'Avventura and revel in the words and photographs of an interesting woman who leads an interesting life. Thank you for your blog!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I just hope that I don't run out of things to write about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could you? Between the strange artist who lives in the woods with his 30-or-so dogs to the Filipino village priest, I saw more quirks and curiosities in that ancient little town than I thought were possible. Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!